Sunday, September 16, 2007

Artistic expression + romance



I’m not a fan of IKEA. The chain reinforces the stereotype of Sweden as being bland and boring (except for the occasional splashes of bright orange or blue, that seem like a throwback to the 60s, that dot the store). But I wanted to see what was out there in the way of bed frames before I made a choice and I was in a “leave no stone unturned” kind of mood.

As I wandered through the store I came across a curvy glass vase. The mind started clicking right away. An opportunity for artistic expression and romance – what could be better? I bought the vase ($13). When I got home I poured some coarse black sand into it. Then I went to add a tea candle. I’d believed that I’d be able to place the candle using a pair of tongs which I thought what just fit through the narrow neck.

Well, it didn’t just fit.

So I’m pondering how I’m going to put the candle in place. Being a clever lad, I quickly hit upon using a pair of wooden skewers. I place the tip of each between the candle and the edge of the aluminum tray the candle sits in. Gently, I lower it into place. Then I remove one skewer and use it to hold the candle down as I pull out the other skewer.

I then placed the vase in a white, semi-opaque bowl that I’d purchased from Costco some months ago ($20). As night falls I light the candle. The effect is beautiful. The candlelight shines through the bowl, and the bowl reflects in the glass tabletop upon which I’ve placed it. I wish I could reproduce the effect in a photograph, but a timed exposure without flash casts everything in an orange colour and using flash photography cancels out the soft light and shadows. All I can offer is the daylight photo that accompanies this piece, but it comes nowhere close to doing it justice.

Tea candles burn for a surprisingly long time. It was almost out when I decided to blow out the candle. This proved exceedingly difficult. Due to the shape of the vase and the narrowness of the neck, no matter how hard I blew the candle flame barely flickered. Being a clever lad, I quickly hit upon the idea of lowering a straw down the vase, close to the candle flame, and blowing through it. The flame was instantly extinguished.

But not clever enough. The next day I noticed candle wax splattered on the inside of the vase. I removed this by emptying the contents of the vase, placing the vase in very hot tap water, and pouring hot tap water into the vase. This loosened the wax, which then floated to the surface.

Next time I’ll just let the candle burn out.

The vase and candle will stand on it’s own, without the bowl. And for a cost, including tax, of less than $15 you can create a romantic mood. Even with the bowl the cost in only $35 – and the bowl can be used in other ways. You can add water and float flowers on top, or floating candle. It can be used to hold an orchid (the most exotic and sexy of flowers).

So what are you waiting for? Get busy. ;-)

No comments: