Wednesday, July 25, 2007

For Being Sweet

For being sweet

I used to tell people that I didn't know why I had a blog:"I have nothing to say." Now I'm like...streaming blog. I still don't have anything to say, I just say it anyhow.

The other day at work I remembered that Caroline's birthday was somewhere around the 22nd. So I asked her "Isn't your birthday around now?" And she said it was last Thursday. So after work I went out and bought a small see-through box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates. And I attached a handwritten note:

For being sweet. Happy Birthday, Caroline.
Your mysterious & elusive chocolate benefactor.

During my break I put the box into the pocket of her coat, which she habitually leaves draped over the the back of a chair. Later, I was talking with one of the supervisors and Caroline walked up smiling and said, "Sam, I know it was you!" I denied all knowledge. This sort of worked. I mean, it created an element of doubt. Caroline turned and went into the office. I saw her seated next to Kathy and knew what they were discussing. I took off and grabbed some of my stuff because I wanted to go for lunch. When I opened the door to the office to go in and mark down that I was away, Caroline was coming out. She had a form and my note in her hand. The form was in my handwriting. She said, "Look at this! They match!" I replied, "That's obviously a forgery." Caroline responded, "It was you! Thank you!" And she gave me a hug.

When I returned from lunch Caroline was talking with the supervisor. She said she'd already eaten all of the chocolates. That amused me. Especially as Caroline is so thin. You wouldn't expect that of her. It's cute.

I didn't get the impression that Caroline's boyfriend was too pleased with my little diversion. I don't even know for sure that she told him, but...well, I was getting a vibe. But I could be wrong. I'm not trying to steal Caroline away or anything. She's been very nice to me and I thought I saw an opportunity to make her happy. I value kindness above all other things and abhor meanness. I believe that kindness should be acknowledged and repaid. Is there anything better than bringing a little joy into someone's life? Yeah, bringing a lot of joy.

Final word: if other guys feel threatened by me they're just going to have to step it up. ;-)

No comments: